Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Au revoir, Bruno!

I'm sad to say that my cooking course is over. Friday was our last class of the semester. It went by so fast! This week, we made an avocado tart, fish with lentils, and crepes suzette. 


We started off with the avocado tart. Or rather, what Bruno called a tart. It was actually not a tart at all. It was very pretty, but you can't just make something circular shaped and call it a tart. We mashed avocados and mixed in chopped shrimp, pickles, and capers. Then Bruno did his standard fancy plating, and we topped it with some candy cane beet and olive oil. I was a little nervous I wouldn't like it, but it was actually quite good! It was made even better by the fresh white rolls we had baked which we used to get every last bit.

 Candy cane beet is pretty cool looking


For the main dish, we made fish once again. This time, we used two kinds of fish, of which I do not know the names in English... One was red and one was silver, and we put a piece of each together for every portion. Bruno had made a bisque with some of the shrimp we used in the first dish, and after cooking the fish, we topped it with some of the bisque on a bed of lentils.



Kristen, Megan, and I enjoy our last meal

The biggest achievement of the night was dessert: crepes suzette. Normal crepes become crepes suzette when you flambe the topping. We made orange zest crepes first, and Bruno told us that we each had to try to make at least two. So we all tried; many of us failed. At least one crepe ended up on the floor. But we got them all made in the end! Then, we made a caramel mixture, and when it reached its peak temperature, we added rum, and Bruno set it on fire. It was quite something to watch! Then the caramel mixture got poured over the top of the crepes. They were delicious!! A fantastic grand finale to our course.


 Fire! Not sure why Bruno wanted to hold the pan while it was on fire...



It was sad to say goodbye to the course, and to Bruno, but I am so happy I got to take it. I think it has been one of my favorite parts of studying abroad. I can't wait to come home and try to recreate everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment